I am still learning how to build a great team. Like running a business, I have no training in this and it has been the single biggest failing in my business development because I did not grow up or work professionally in a team atmosphere where the example was there for me to learn from.
We’re only as good as those around us, so understanding this is huge in business success.
I first heard about the Kolbe report through Joe Polish on the I Love Marketing podcast. He doesn’t hire anyone without having them take the assessment. I took the assessment and the chart below is mine. I have all of my team take it before I hire them now. You need a team that supports the others strengths and is well suited for the roll you need filled in your company. I also think that it is great for an individual to take so they know themselves and can make the case for their strengths when asking for a job. Check out the website. Below is my basic assessment result:
Kolbe Indexes are fun and easy to complete online in less than 20 minutes. They are different from other self assessments because they don’t measure how smart you are (thinking) or what your personality is like (feeling).
Rather, Kolbe Indexes measure how you naturally DO things.
Backed by more than 30 years of research and practical applications, they provide an amazingly accurate map of an individual’s natural instincts, or modus operandi (M.O.). Index results are delivered dynamically online and are also available in a print version.
Check it out. http://www.kolbe.com/
How to Fascinate
This website has a lot of resources for the individual and businesses. Sally has created products for various needs.
I read the book Fascinate by Sally Hogshead, find it on the book list, and found it hard to put down. Loved the book. I heard Sally interviewed years later on Entrepreneur on Fire, the podcast with John Lee Dumas, and heard about the assessment Sally offers.
I took the assessment on the website and after answering only 28 questions, I was amazed at how accurately it pegged me on my triggers. My primary trigger is Passion and secondary is Rebellion. This makes me the archetype ‘The Catalyst’. Here’s my favorite part. It describes me like this; Your enthusiasm and creativity bring people together for the purpose of innovation.’ Much like building this website and podcast! Check it out.
I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking to better understand themselves and where they are starting from.
Check it out. howtofascinate.com
Favorite Software or Apps
- Adobe Photoshop
- Skitch by Evernote
- David & Goliath – Malcolm Gladwell
- The E Myth Architect – Michael Gerber & Norbert Lemermeyer
- Linchpin: Are you indispensable – Seth Godin
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…. And Others Don’t – Jim Collins
- The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business – Josh Kaufman
- Rework (unabridged) – Jason Fried, David Heineneier Hansson
- Entreleadership – Dave Ramsey
- Good Boss, Bad Boss (unabridged) – Robert I Sutton
- Start with Why (unabridged) – Simon Sinek
- The E-Myth Revisited (unabridged) – Michael E. Gerber
- Team Code of Honor: The Secrets of Champions in Business and in Life – By Blair Singer
- The Dream Manager – Mathew Kelly
- The Five Disfunctions of a Team (unabridged) – Patrick Lencioni
- Intrinsic Motivation at Work (unabridged) – Kenneth Thomas
Marketing & Sales
- Book Yourself Solid (unabridged) – Michael Port
- Made to Stick (unabridged) – Chip Heath & Dan Heath
- The Referral Engine (unabridged) – John Janisch
- Purple Cow (unabridged) – Seth Godin
- YES! (unabridged) – Noah Goldstein, Steve J. Martin, Robert B. Cialdini
- The War of Art (unabridged) – Stephen Pressfield
- Mastery – Robert Gold
- Practice Perfect (unabridged) – Doug Lemov, Katie Yezzi, Erica Woolway
- How to Friends and Influence People (unabridged) – Dale Carnegie
- The New Psycho-Cybernetics – Maxwell-Maltz edited by Dan S. Kennedy
- In Pursuit of Excellence (unabridged) PDF – Mathew E. May
- The Power of Full Engagement – Jim Loehr, Tony Schwartz
- Outliers – Malcolm Gladwell